Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Knowing when it is time....

An important point for leaders  is to know when it is time to leave... Often the perks of a position make it too attractive to stay even beyond one's effectiveness.


This morning the world heard that Pope Benedict XVI plans to resign at the end of the February (18 days from now).   As Cardinal Ratzinger he observed the long, slow decline of Pope John Paul II.   I believe that a couple of years ago he indicated that he was open to resignation if he could not continue at full strength (I don't have the exact information).  
Now he has taken a bold step:  the first Pope in 600 years to resign.  It is a courageous step.  It is a rational step by a man who has devoted his life to careful, rational thinking.   I applaud his courage...

Would that many political leaders would have similar courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment