Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Film Critics

Ever since I wrote about the new book on trends in film (see my earlier blog), I have been watching the film scene more closely.  I fail to find any film currently playing the major theaters that I would pay to see.  I see films that I would have to be paid to endure!!!

Recently Hallmark launched its delightful series Cedar Cove.   It is refreshing and wholesome and very interesting.  Some of us look forward eagerly to each week's new episode.   But, if I  read the critics' reviews first, I would have never have watched it.  

It is dismissed as saccharine fluff  in sarcastic language.  

The latest gruesome first run films deserve panning, but Cedar Cove  is a breathe of fresh air.

The film critics need to sit back and think about society.  What makes a better contribution to society?  The latest gruesome thriller or the refreshing Cedar Cove that makes us think about the best in our own lives?

We have become sophisticated and brittle in  society and dismissive of films that espouse small town life and good values as "Hallmark."   We should be glad Hallmark is willing to make these films, unlike the major part of the film industry that wants only violent serials and blockbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment