Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Tragedy of Our Society

Everyone knows we have the world's highest productivity in agriculture and possibly the cheapest food in the world (as a percentage of total expenses).  

Be that as it may, we increasingly hear about the hunger in our country.   I give generously to food shelves and to agencies that feed the homeless and the helpless, both in cash and in food donations.  But, I wonder why increasingly the solicitations I receive all relate to food distribution.  

Are we creating a permanent dependency?  

Are people learning that they don't have to spend for food, but can spend for other things? I am not talking about the homeless, the abandoned, and others who are in a pitiful situation.

I grew up in a modest home.  We were poor, but we always had food.  We did not have a car or many other luxuries.   One part of me wonders about the values of people who do not feed their children breakfast but have many other "luxuries."

Schools have had to take over feeding many children.  Churches and social services are collecting and distributing food endlessly.
I will continue to participate, but I will also question the values of our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment