Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Reflection. crisis avoidance, and Leadership

It is rare to find a book on leadership that does not put forth the virtues of reflection.   The unexamined life seldom leads to good decisions.    If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there; a famous truism.  
It is important to take time to reflect whether once a day or once a week.   Where am I going?   What am I doing?  Where are my priorities?   What are my must do tasks?   What can I defer and what must I do today?
Some people answer those questions by responding to urgent deadlines, rather than thoughtfully considering what is important in life.  
We all have some deadlines.  Some unintended and urgent necessities and some crises.  But we should not live on the edge, constantly skirting the next crisis.    It is important to think through one's priorities but allow enough flexibility to meet crises or urgent demands when they occur.
Good planning and reflection cannot solve all problems, but it can help us to avoid living in crisis mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment