Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflection and Leadership

It does not matter which leadership "advice" book you read.  Everyone mentions the role of reflection.  Invariably as I teach my graduate students who are working professionals, I find that most balk at the suggestion of finding time for reflection in their daily schedule.

All of us are busy.  We all understand that.   Over the years, I have had students mention every conceivable reason why they have little or no time for reflection.   I look deeply into my own life and find the same thing.  There were months and years in which I had little time for reflection.  When I would eventually find time to reflect, I found that it did make a difference.

Now that I have been teaching about leadership for numerous years, I am more aware (of course) of the importance of reflection and make time for it.

I don't do daily reflection, but I try to make reflection a part of my life.   Finding even 10-15 minutes alone (even 5) during the day can help.   At work, sometimes close the door (or if there is no door), take a walk during lunch and sit on a park bench or walk along.

Drop the iPhone or Android phone for a few minutes.   There are few people more devoted to e-mail than I, but I avoid taking out my iPad, Blackberry or other tools in social settings.    I don't text.  I send e-mails instead.  It achieves the same thing but does not signal the person and does not require a separate word structure.     Instead of looking at your mobile device during breaks, close your eyes and reflect.  Reflect on your life, your goals, your progress.  Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment