Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Friday, December 12, 2014

What has happened to the movies?

I think I have gone to a film theater only about twice this year.   As I talk with other friends, most tell me they cannot remember the last time they went to a movie theater.

I look at the films playing via the internet and simply decide I am not interested.  I don't want vampires, end of the world films, gruesome happenings film.

These are all reflections of a dark society.   I prefer to live in a bright society.

A role of film was always to uplift people's spirits.  Even in the height of the depression in the 1930s few films dealt with the grimmer side of life.   They always focused on themes to uplift people who were already very depressed.

In the present era of terrorism, shootings by deranged young adults, and global unrest, do we really need end of the world films?   Do we need films to feed the destructive tendencies of the mentally unbalanced?  

In an attempt to be novel and original, Hollywood has gone to the bizarre, the cruel, and the unthinkable.

Any wonder the Hallmark channel is doing so well?

What kind of people are ordering these films to be made?  Where are you when we need you, Louis B. Mayer?   Jack Warner?   And other moguls who had a sense of what the public needed and wanted.

Movie theaters make their money on the refreshments, not on the films.    Film attendance is down and has been down for years.  No wonder.

The coming attractions which tend to run up to a half hour are enough to send me running out of the theater.  Most of the time I saw to myself: there are 10 films I do not want to see.

If films in the theater are going to survive, they need new energy and a new vision.  The current vision is depressing and self-destructive.  Wake up!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment