Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Overcoming Fear of Being a Leader

Everyone is capable of leadership, but some fear to step forward.   I don't know why.  My guess is that these individuals were not encouraged to speak up or speak out from childhood.   I suspect that the childhood tendency to hold back has extended into adulthood.  

Everyone has the opportunity to lead at sometime or someplace.  Whether at work, in the playground, at church, or any other place you can imagine.   Taking up the challenge when it presents itself is the challenge.

In the few years since I have been semi-retired, I have had more opportunity to engage in community activities.  I have seen numerous people step forward to take on leadership roles.  Awkward at first, they soon rise to the occasion and do a great job.

I once heard that fear of public speaking can be about as great as fear of dying.   I sometimes think that fear of being a leader is not far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment