Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Seeking Perfection in Leaders

We all dream of the perfect leader, whether at work or in politics.   Let us face facts.  No one is perfect.   Everyone has a blemish of some sort.   With some it is more obvious.  

In politics, in particular, we look for the leader who can solve all the problems.   The glib promise much and deliver little.   The realists are more guarded in their promises and are often bypassed.

Over the years as I have participated in search committees to hire managers and executives, I have seen more than I would like of seemingly "perfect" candidates who soon turned into disappointments.  The same in politics... where disappointments are more obvious and public.

What we should look for in a leader is integrity, honesty, realism, vision, and courage.   Not perfection.   More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment