Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Setting Priorities

A key to getting anything accomplished is the ability to set priorities.  Often we are so caught up in the hectic pace of life that we do not think about setting priorities.  We just do what has to be done.  Often not mindfully.  Almost like robots.

The busier we are the more likely we are not to set priorities unless we are one of these unique people who can set priorities without too much stewing.   In some ways we all set priorities by what we do and what we don't do.  

If I choose to take a walk instead of going out with friends, that demonstrates a priority.  If I choose a television special over playing with the children, that too demonstrates a priority.  If I choose to go out with friends instead of visiting family, that too is a priority.

We live our priorities by what we do.   It's time to try to put some choice and selection into those priorities.

Often we say:  How did time slip by so quickly?   I did not realize how late it is.  I did not realize the deadline is tomorrow?   I did not get a chance to see him/her before I left town.   And so on.

Take a few minutes each day and certainly every week to set your priorities.   They are not cast in stone, but can help to guide us as to what is important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment