Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Super Bowl Culture

All week all I have heard is pre-Super Bowl buzz.   Advice on everything from healthy snacks before the super bowl to fitting in attendance at church.
Regardless of the news show, guests are asked for their predictions.   Are we obsessed with the Super Bowl as a society?   Or are we bored in the middle of winter and it's the only "game in town"?    
I don't have answers.  Only questions.   I rarely watch the Super Bowl.  I would if the Vikings were in the Super Bowl, just because I am a Minnesota patriot.  Since the Vikings have not made it to the Super Bowl in a long time, the question is moot. 

I am not excited about the Super Bowl ads which I understand cost about $4 million each.   I tune out ads on all programs.  I don't know how or why I can do it, but I am impervious to all ads.    I might occasionally be aware of ads for a child's product only if my granddaughter calls my attention to it.   Otherwise, I can watch programs with TV ads and be totally unaware of the ads.  The ads hold no interest for me.

At a time when the dangers of playing football (concussions and head injuries) have had heightened attention, it appears strange that the media hype is unabated.

Increasingly I think much of this is winter boredom.  Since New Year's Day, most of the country has had bad weather.   We in Minnesota have had a mix of frigid weather followed by warming and snow, followed by frigid weather and warming and snow, in an unabated cycle.   We have had it. 

The Super Bowl provides a little winter entertainment even for the non-fan.   The media hype is ceaseless.  I think we feel we ought to be interested

Foreigners who catch our TV shows might think Americans are obsessed with football (a sport they don't comprehend).   In fact, I wonder. I think it is merely the opportunity to celebrate something in a rather boring winter.

The Super Bowl has loomed larger and larger in my adult life.  Maybe we will even declare a holiday on the Monday after the Super Bowl at some time.

Count me out.  I will check out the offerings on Hallmark Movie Channel tomorrow...
I think there may be a Murder She Wrote marathon this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment