Random thoughts on leadership

This blog is an experiment.. The various successful bloggers have influenced me to try blogging myself.

I will be sharing thoughts, books, book reviews and other content.

It's an open, electronic diary and journal.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Simplify, simplify, simplify

In our busy, cluttered lives, it is important to simplify.  The act of simplifying our lives is not once and done.  It is a continual process, multifaceted, and affects all aspects of our lives. 

Some people think that cleaning out a closet once is simplifying.  It is but it is a limited form.  Simplifying suggests that we examine every facet of our life.  For me, paper is a big thing. My recycling bin is amazing considering I live alone.   I recycle and recycle but the paper does not seem to diminish.  For every piece I recycle another seems to add to the pile.   

Decluttering a home is one form of simplication.  But there are many others.

Cutting back on errands and doing them more efficiently is another form of simplification.  Combine errands and go to a mall or shopping center where you can do multiple errands.  I am fortunate to live near a small mall that has a grocery store, a Target, a UPS, a dry cleaner, and so on.   A little further is a cul de sac with a post office and a bank.  Elaine St. James is a good source for learning to simplify your errands and tasks. 
(In another post I will talk about simplifying your home.)

Learning to say "no" is essential for simplification.     No to what?  Too many meetings?  Too many social obligations.   Think about it.  I will write more later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment